Previously, it was thought that the world of clothing was only for women. There are also those who think that it is not a prestigious career. However, children’s sewing workshops are gaining popularity. To a large extent, this happens thanks to the great benefits they generate.
Seeing boys and girls sewing is not a very frequent image today. Generally, they are moved by other interests: technology, screens or sports. However, it is an activity with great benefits. Do you wonder what they are? Here we detail some points related to this topic.
7 reasons to enroll your children in a sewing workshop
There are many reasons why you should consider enrolling your children in a sewing workshop. Here are some of them:
- They will use their leisure time to learn a useful tool for their life.
- They will be able to put their skills to the test by entering the unknown world of clothing.
- They will know the different types of fabrics.
- They will develop creativity.
- They will meet new partners and friends.
- They can make their own designs, as well as customize their clothes with unique touches.
- They will learn to combine colors and textures.
As you can see, there are many advantages that these workshops offer your children. Such advantages will serve them throughout their lives, regardless of their sex.
What is the right age for children to learn sewing?
It would not be correct to give a definitive answer to this question, because each child’s abilities are different.
However, it could be set around five years of age as a parameter that can be taken into account. In children, it is not advisable to use needles, much less sewing machines.
What does your child need to attend a sewing workshop?
In most cases, it will not be mandatory to have a sewing machine at home. Therefore, there are no excuses for your children not to enter the world of clothing.
However, each workshop may require different materials according to the theme chosen for sewing. Most sewing workshops for children usually request:
Children’s plastic needles.
- Pieces of cloth.
- Bond paper sheets.
- School glue or masking tape.
- Colored pencils.
- Rulers and square.
As you can see, the materials are not very difficult to obtain and you won’t have to spend a lot of money either.
What other benefits do sewing workshops offer for children?
If you still don’t convince yourself, here are other benefits that your children get from this activity:
It helps develop fine motor skills
In these workshops, children develop fine motor skills. They also increase their motor skills, since they carry out activities that involve small movements. Such movements must be done with the hands precisely and must be coordinated with the visual ability.
An example of this is making cuts. With this, manual skills and visual coordination are exercised. Another regular activity in sewing workshops is construction; so children can achieve agility in the fingers by joining pieces of various shapes and sizes using threads and needles. In turn, they can learn to master their hands with precision.
Provides the development of the cognitive area through sewing
In this art, kids will enhance their intelligence and sensitivity. In turn, both brain hemispheres will be forced to work at the same time. That is where the intuitive, conscious and unconscious activities of analytical and mathematical reasoning are.
Final tips for parents
Parents can help their children to successfully participate in a sewing workshop as follows:
- Do not think that sewing is only for women.
- Be sure to leave your children in the care of responsible people, because they will use needles and, even if they are plastic, children need adult supervision.
- Don’t underestimate the value of creativity.
- Keep in mind that you don’t have to wait to be an adult to enter the world of sewing.
- Your children may not become the next famous fashion designers. However, you will most likely want them to develop their creativity with new friends, or you may want them to know what to do when they drop a button on their shirt.
In any case, there are many benefits that are obtained from sewing workshops for children. Encourage them to try them!
What do you think of these workshops? 🙂